Part 2 1/2

16:13

Toronto is AWESOME! It truly is! I had never been there and I asked and googled for suggestions on what to do.

The first thing I was told was to try Poutine and OH.MY.GOD I am obsessed. I probably had it 4 times whilst I was there.

How awesome is this? Glass and proper plate whilst eating fast food?

It reminded me of eating chips and cheese back in England, which I truly miss. Poutine, according to the ever trusty Wikipedia, is:

"...is a dish originating in Quebec, Canada, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds"

I admit, I preferred the one that has cheese and nothing but cheese (and bacon, like the one in the above picture). Overall it is great and you should try it, in all its different variations. It was my first proper meal when I arrived in Toronto. I was cold, tired and sleepy after the long flight, but eating that, was a fantastic thing and a lovely discovery!

In all the cities I've been, if you wanna use the subway/tube/train you HAVE to get a pass. There's people checking you have the pass and it's a bit of a commotion if you don't have it. In London I had to run back to the train during rush hour cause a friend had left her pass there. So on my first day attempting to understand the Canadian transport system, the person in charge was not there. So as a proper tourist I asked the police where I could  get one. He said to pass the gate (without a metro card!!) and get one at the station I was going to. I was shocked to say the least, but I did get the metro pass and it worked fantastic! I went all over with my metro pass and I bought the one that lasted a week, it was cheaper and even though I didn't use it on the days of the fair it was perfect and I didn't have to worry about getting one every time I was using the metro.

Made using Canva

Trying to find this place was like trying to find Wally! I was lost for over an hour, I walked A LOT! I found the Public Library (thank you glorious and wonderful public library)! And FINALLY I made it to AGO. The reason I was so persistent about this place, was cause they had an exhibit about Art Spiegelman. (Cartoonist known by the Graphic Novel Maus). We have his book in the library and, even though I've never read it, I know how valuable it is. After the exhibition though I was ready to read every book ever written by him! His work blew my mind!



The AGO had this stickers all over their floors and the ideas of this, was that, a volunteer would come and start talking to you about a work of art on the room. I got to see the very end of where I took this photo and I absolutely loved how much the volunteer enjoyed discussing art with complete strangers.



They also had a little area for children, where they explain art in an easy way. All the artworks there had kids as a theme or unusual things, like this work of art by Walter Trier, appropriately called Raining Cats And Dogs.



I was there for several hours, I loved skulls so finding this skulls there was pretty amazing. 



The station I used was a couple of blocks away from my hotel and I had to think really hard which way I had to go when I was coming back from the station, since said station was actually in the middle of a street. Every day when I was on my way back I had to walk to the corner and think if I had to go to my left or to my right (I had to go to my left!). One day I went the wrong way and lo and behold I found a second hand bookshop!! I was beyond excited (I spend hours on Charing Cross Road in London going from one second hand bookshop to the other).


As you can see by the sign, the place is pretty large and opens like any other shop. You were also asked to leave any bags you had behind the counter, since the place was very narrow. I got a couple of books for about 4-6 US dollars and they were in great shape. If you ever want to visit the place it's in 584 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4Y 1Z3, Canada.



I love castles, I love princess stories, I am a huge Disney fan girl, there's no point denying that, so when I learned about this castle type mansion, I HAD to visit it! And I have no regrets. From the metro station to the castle is a short walk (plus a steep hill).


You can go all the way to the top of the tower, which I HIGHLY recommend! You get to see the insides of the building and you get a gorgeous view from the top.


And best and most amazing part of all: IT HAS A SECRET PASSAGE! Which, again, you have to use!! Unless you're claustrophobic, don't use it if you are claustrophobic!


Fun fact: When I went there was a Kinder class visiting the school, they were amazing at being quiet and keeping their attention focus on the guide so the castle was fairly quiet. At one point when I was on the first floor I hear the tour guide shout CHAAAARGEEEEEEEE! followed by several giggles and the entire class (+plus the tour guide) running from one of the room to the other with their arms raised up high as if holding a sword ready for battle. Best tour guide EVER!


The ROM is pretty impressive yes, but I feel that it is like every other big museum. It has animals, countries and the special exhibition. I liked it but I didn't love it. What I did love was the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibition. I could not take pictures but I suggest you check it out if you ever get the chance, here's a link to some examples of the winners.

Fun fact about the next picture: When a kid saw this fish he wondered where was Nemo's dad.



I love this ceiling. Spend several minutes staring at it

Untitled (The Blue Lady) sculpture by Navjot Altaf


This is the one place everyone mentions when you ask or google 'What to do in Toronto?'. So I went there. Getting there was quite the adventure. The size of it, is truly impressive!! It is not for people who are afraid of heights though, as it has a glass floor on the 113th floor. I am not afraid of height but I did get a certain rush from standing there.



And don't forget to go to the Skypod 33 floors up!!



Just keep in mind, if you go in Winter it will be cold!



When I left the CN Tower it was freezing, windy and snowy, so I ran to the nearest building, which happened to be Ripley's Aquarium. I'm glad I went in cause this place is amazing. It is a tiny aquarium, yes, but the things they have are pretty awesome and you get to touch some of the animals!! I think the price was a bit excessive but overall it was worth it.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Read the Printed Word!